Kidney stones are formed by minerals and salts that accumulate in the kidneys. Various home remedies can help ease symptoms and promote the natural passage of kidney stones.
Lemon juice is a natural diuretic that increases urination and can break up small stones. Consuming diluted lemon juice throughout the day can also reduce pain.
1. Stay Hydrated
- Drinking a lot of water helps hydrate the body and dilutes substances that may cause kidney stones.
- People prone to developing kidney stones should drink at least 3 quarts (about ten 8-ounce glasses) of liquid a day.
- If you live in a hot or humid climate, you might need more fluids because heat makes you sweat and lose water through perspiration.
- Avoid sugary drinks, because they can add calories and change the acid-base balance of your urine.
- Instead, make ice cubes from fruits that are good for your kidneys, such as citrus or pomegranate, and use them in place of regular ice cubes.
2. Lemon Juice
- Increasing fluid intake, including lemon juice, may help reduce the size of kidney stones.
- Lemons contain citrate, which is known to inhibit the formation of kidney stones.
- Lemon juice increases urine citrate, which may prevent the formation of kidney stones made from calcium deposits
- Drinking lemon juice with honey may help reduce the pain associated with forming and passing kidney stones.
- A combination of lemon juice and olive oil can help pass a small kidney stone. The olive oil lubricates the stone to facilitate passage while the lemon helps dissolve it.
- Moreover, they are one of the most effective home remedies for dissolving small kidney stones and facilitating their passage through urine.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar is believed to reduce the risk of recurrent kidney stones by dissolving minerals that contribute to their formation.
- The acetic and citric acid in ACV can reduce the size of kidney stones to make them easier to pass naturally.
- It is important to always drink diluted ACV since it is very acidic. You can mix 1-2 tablespoons of diluted ACV with water to consume daily.
4. Pomegranate Juice
- This fruit contains citric acid, which helps break down kidney stones to make them easier to pass.
- It also helps prevent future stones by lowering levels of calcium, oxalate, and phosphorus in the urine.
- A 2011 study found that pomegranate juice lowers oxalate levels in the urine of those with a history of kidney stones.
- Pomegranate juice improves overall kidney function and lowers the acidic level in the urine, which is a common risk factor for developing kidney stones
- To enjoy the benefits of pomegranate, try making a juice with the seeds and pulp, or add the fruit to your favorite smoothie.
5. Kidney Bean Broth
- Consuming boiled kidney beans daily may help alleviate the pain of calcium-heavy kidney stones.
- The beans are rich in magnesium, which helps dissolve these types of stones.
- Kidney beans are rich in fiber and are an effective home remedy for preventing kidney stones by flushing out the urinary tract.
- Kidney beans are also an excellent source of fiber, which can help reduce urination frequency and flush out toxins.
6. Nettle Leaf Tea
- Nettle leaf tea is a great way to detoxify and help prevent kidney stones.
- It has powerful diuretic properties that can help increase urine production, resulting in the release of excess minerals and waste from the body.
- It also contains compounds that can inhibit the formation of calcium oxalate crystals, which can reduce the risk of kidney stones.
- Nettle leaf tea also has a high level of iron, which can help treat anemia and promote healthy red blood cell function.
- Studies show that nettle can help treat prostate problems in men, such as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It also helps keep urinary tract bacteria at bay.
7. Magnesium Supplements
- A diet high in magnesium (including foods like nuts and whole grains) and water may prevent kidney stones from forming.
- The magnesium keeps calcium dissolved in the blood so it can’t form crystals to create kidney stones. A magnesium supplement can also be taken.
- Basil contains astringent, diuretic and antispasmodic properties that can help in breaking down kidney stones and flushing them from the body.
- It also reduces the levels of uric acid in your system. Moreover, the presence of essential oils like linalool, methyl chavicol and methyl cinnamate in basil inhibits the growth of bacteria that cause infections in your urinary tract and intestines.
- Consuming fresh basil leaves in the form of juice can help you fight off kidney stones.
- It can also be mixed with lemon juice to increase the citrate content in your urine and prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- Alternatively, you can use the extract of basil leaves with honey and consume it on an empty stomach. This will alleviate the pain caused by kidney stones and help them dissolve quickly.
Although some home remedies can reduce symptoms and facilitate the passage of kidney stones, it is important to seek medical attention if your condition worsens. Always consult with a urologist or nephrologist for personalized recommendations.